Monday 1 February 2016

Home

There is a person called Eric Dubay who claims to offer "200 proofs" that the earth is flat. He is wrong in every way. He doesn’t offer 200 proofs, because he repeats himself again and again. They aren’t ‘proofs’  because they are consistently wrong, illogical, based on false statements or on misunderstandings. And the earth really isn’t flat!


I don't expect you to take my word for that. It's the last thing I'd want. Please read these refutations, follow up the evidence links, try the experiments I suggest so that you can see for yourself. 


I’ve tried to make these replies understandable to everybody, with no more technical stuff than is absolutely necessary to make  the point. I’ve also suggested ways that you can test the important questions for yourself.
I’ve written many of these replies myself, but sometimes I’ve drawn on other people's work online. If you want to explore further, try these sources to get you started:

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-the-flat-earth-theory-14-ways-the-flat-earth-theory-is-false.t7148/

14 ways the flat earth theory is false: an excellent set of key points. A few address different versions of flat earthism; Dubay  claims that the moon is a disk, for instance, and is irrationally rude about other flat earthers who disagree.Still, all the points are relevant.

There is a whole section of Metabunk on Flat Earth theories and why they can be shown to be wrong. If you disagree, you will be welcome to discuss your evidence there: Just make sure you do haveevidence, not empty claims though, and be prepared to discuss rationally and politely (read the politeness policy first). And please do start by checking out the existing discussions before you start a new one.


A mix of the basic evidence in science and mathematics, with lots of fact-checking:

1 comment:

  1. A lot of work has been put into this! Well done, I enjoyed reading through them and pretty much found you'd highlighted the same types of responses that I'd had when I first saw the "200 proofs" claims. Having working in Antarctica I knew from personal experience that Eric flat out lies about the sunlight hours there, but I never bothered researching most of his other claims as I could see at a glance that a good many of them were just wrong, so assumed that the rest weren't worth checking (guilt by association). But thanks for the effort, I'll be sure to direct anyone here who tries to direct me Eric's 200 proofs and tell me to do "research"!

    ReplyDelete

(Please make your comment reasoned and based on evidence . Abusive comments will be totally ignored.)